Smoke Detector Landlord Information
In Victoria it is the responsibility of a Landlord to properly fit and maintain smoke detectors in each residential property. These smoke detectors must comply with the Australian Standards AS3786 – 1993.
In order to provide the necessary duty of care, Melbourne Real Estate engage the services of a smoke detector servicing company to take care of the initial and annual maintenance responsibilities regarding smoke detectors.
All smoke detectors (electrical hard-wired and detachable) must be checked once a year and details of the servicing needs to be recorded. Many smoke detectors when checked, could be either faulty, broken by tenants attempting to replace batteries, painted over or otherwise not in compliance with the relevant standards, even in new developments. All smoke detectors also have up to a ten-year use by date and therefore need to be replaced when expired. It is important that landlords fulfill their duty by keeping their property safe and hazard free for any occupants.
The servicing of a standard 9Volt smoke alarm includes:
- Ensuring that smoke detectors are securely fitted to the ceiling. (in accordance with Australian Standards 1993, AS 3786 Section 2.6)
- Maintenance check to ensure smoke detectors are in working order, within expiry, and positioned correctly.
- Documentation of records detailing whether properties comply with current smoke detector legislation. (Including: Building Commission requirements and compliance with Australian Standards 1993, AS 3786)
- Decibel testing. (in accordance with Australian Standards 1993, AS 3786 Section 3.5)
- Cleaning detector and surrounding areas including vacuum cleaning the grill. (in accordance with Australian Standards 1993, AS 3786 Section 3.4.8)
- Battery replacement (in accordance with Australian Standards 1993, AS 3786 Section 2.3)
- Smoke test to ensure effective operation.
Melbourne Real Estate, due to occupational and safety requirements for our employees, do not take responsibility for the working order of smoke detectors. We therefore highly recommend engaging the services of a professional smoke detector servicing company to ensure compliance and the safety of the tenant/s.